[EuroPython] EPC 2005: where and when?

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario at ita.chalmers.se
Thu Oct 7 13:45:45 CEST 2004

Michael Hudson wrote:

> I don't have any particular beef with plone (although I'd rather have
> learnt about it in a more, uh, relaxed fashion), but a plea (that I've
> probably made before): EuroPython seems to be quite a big thing in the
> Plone world.  The Plone world seems to be quite a large place.  Surely
> there's at least one really experienced plone user who could spare a
> few hours for being on the EuroPython web team?  What can we do to
> make finding this person(s) more likely?

My 2 Eurocents:

1) Decide if we wish to do separate systems or one system does it all
2) Decide on what base we want for the website
3) If the decision is on using Plone for parts (all/some) of the website
the make this decision quickly

4) take a deep breath, do some yoga/kickboxing/judo/quigong/whatever and
get relaxed and openminded

If the decision is to use plone:

Technical things
6) Upgrade to latest and greatest Plone and Zope

7) Ban the usage of stuff that even in the plone world are experimental
  to some degree (ie ArcheTypes comes to mind). For the stuff we need,
my thinking is that PythnScripts and Templates are all we need.

8) Keep things simple and manageable . ie if a certain functionality of
Plone is not to our liking, fine - we do not use it (ie. the automatic
navtree complaints of lat yer come to mind - This can e replaced by a
navtree that is managed manually).

9) Someone(s) need to decide on what kind of look we want to have in the
new site and present HTML-mockups

10) insert own opinions here.

I am sure that most of what people wnat may be accomplished by using
Plone and Keeping Things Simple. Also, we need to have at least a
development server that is quite speedy. If needed be I can set up a
machine specifically for this purpose.

/dario