[EuroPython] Website things

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at chalmers.se
Sat Apr 2 15:56:17 CEST 2005

Jacob Hallen wrote:

>lördag 02 april 2005 10.48 skrev Jean-Marc Orliaguet:
>

>>Jacob Hallén wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all.
>>>
>>>We are now public with the webiste. Information will go out tomorrow.
>>>
>>>I think I have the talk registration fully working now. Please report any
>>>bugs you find. We are also officially open for talk submissions, so if
>>>you plan on speaking, please start sending in your stuff.
>>>
>>>I have found a few problems with the site, and I'm sure there will be more
>>>as we move along.
>>>
>>>The first one is that the search box doesn't seem to work.
>>>

>>yes it does, it's just that you have published only 1 document so far
>>called 'Venue'
>>

>Ahh, this must have been done without me noticing. How do I publish something?
>I can't find a box to click in that says "Publish".

Hi, it's the 'submit' button

http://www.medic.chalmers.se/~jmo/ep2005/content.html

just create something in a workspace and  publish it in one of the
sections. That's the "normal" workflow.

>>>The second one is that the banner ad alternates between the Strakt banner
>>>and one which is a box saying "Full banner". Please get rid of this and
>>>add the banners of other sponsoring organisations.
>>>

>>which are?? I have asked several times about banners and received none.
>>

>Yes, this is not your fault. I don't know who supplies the Chalmers one,or the
>Amaze one. They should submit their stuff.

Chalmers will get a new banner soon.

the sizes is:

- 468x60 for top banners
- 160x320 for side banners

>>>Third, I don't know how to affect the "latest site changes" box. It would
>>>be nice to be able to control what goes into it.
>>>

>>publish a document and it will be displayed in it.
>>

>Ok, we will see how this works for us. In general I'm sceptical about
>mechanising the contents of our front page, but it may work out that this is
>reasonable.

It's half-mechanized. Some  links can be added manually, and BTW these
are just portlets, these can be changed easily, so there's nothing to
worry about.

>>>Fourth, I would like the date and place to be in a stronger font
>>>(equivalent to an <h4> heading.
>>>

>>ok
>>

>>>Fifth, I wonder how the images of the day are swapped around. I have
>>>plenty more images that we could be showing.
>>>

>>send them
>>

>Ok, will do.
>

>>>Sixth, the "Contact Information" at the bottom of the page is not a link.
>>>It probably should be.
>>>

>>a link to what?
>>

>I suppose to a web page where we can enter contact information. If we are
>consistent in our approach, the CMS provides "holes" for us to put
>information in, which we then fill in. Having a general procedure where we do
>this, and then an exception where we are supposed to provide the information
>first, and then the hole to put it in is created afterwards is quite
>bewildering.
>

>In any case, having the words "CONTACT INFORMATION" at the bottom of the page,
>without it linking to anything is probably rather irritating to a visitor to
>the site, and we should do something about it.
>
>I don't know exactly what contact information to put in the page. People are
>sensitive about giving out their email addresses these days, though I would
>like to make it possible for people to contact the track chairs. I'm going to
>bring up the subject on Tuesday.
>
>Jacob

apart from the CMS discussion about what should come first in theory,
the 'CONTACT INFORMATION' text without a link just makes it more obvious
for everyone that some contact information is actually missing. I can
remove it but it won't make it easier for visitors to get in contact
with the organisers.

regards

/JM