Wireless Access in the conference area (was Re: [EuroPython] List of things that need doing)

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario at ita.chalmers.se
Tue Apr 5 10:10:54 CEST 2005

Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:
> And like I said, we may be able to borrow an extra acess point by the
> time of the conference that we may be able to use. Maybe.
>
> I am not sure how this may increase the coverage in the rooms.

I just had a chat with on of the staff from the group that manages the
NOMAD network. I explained our need of having better network coverage
and we thought about possible ways to get around this.

He explained that unknown wireless equipment that is used by individuals
is a major source of problems with the NOMAD network throughout
Chalmers, so the are not enthuiastic about bring in our own wireless
equipment.

BUT, they were somewhat sympathetic about our needs, so we cam up with a
solution that may work.

If we provide them with the proper equipment (read: the same brand of
wireless access points that are currently used by the NOMAD
infrastructure), they are willing to help us configure them and help us
connecct them to some of the cabled NOMAD ethernet sockets.

This way we may provide wireless access both in the cafe and in the
rooms that have inadequate coverage.

The down side of this is that the access points are expensive:

they are Cisco Aironet 1100 AccessPoints, and the best price I can get
tem for is about 3150 kronor + moms each, and we probabably want a
power-over-ethernet box for each for about 315 kronor + moms (makes it
easier to power the ap's). In total  aprximaltely 3465 kronor + moms each.

This way we have much more freedom to provide access to places
wherethere is no coverage.

So what do you say, do we have budget for 2-3 of those AccessPoints?

/dario

PS: Yes, they have to be Cisco Aironets 1100 or 1200 (but 1200 is more
expensive).

"...and click? damn, I need to kill -9 Word again..." - b using macosx