[EuroPython] What the heck does "pythonic" mean?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Apr 13 13:34:18 CEST 2005

Martijn Faassen <faassen at infrae.com> writes:

> In Zope 3, a lot of effort was taken to allow the integration of
> Pythonic code. Zope 3's codebase itself is also a lot more modern
> Python, so could qualify as "Pythonic" as well. Unfortunately
> turn-offs for Python developers new to Zope 3 are ZCML

Bloody hell yes.

> and the sheer magnitude of the framework and the amount of new
> concepts involved. I believe something like ZCML is necessary,

That something like ZCML is necessary to deploy large systems I'm not
prepared to dispute, but that it (seems to be?  currently?) is
necessary to do even toy development with zope 3 is a serious turn
off.

When I got to the point in the Zope 3 Book where it says "simply type
these 70 lines of XML into browser/configure.zcml" I might have thrown
it out of the window if I wasn't reading it in PDF :)

Shane Hathaway put it very neatly in:

    http://hathawaymix.org/Weblog/2005-01-26

(especially his comment).

I guess this is known, and Zope 3 will get there in the end.

Cheers,
mwh
(who looked hard at Zope 3 for the first time this week).

--
  (Unfortunately, while you get Tom Baker saying "then we
   were attacked by monsters", he doesn't flash and make