[EuroPython] Did I visit the right website?

Steve Alexander steve at canonical.com
Wed Apr 20 04:18:15 CEST 2005

I went to http://europython.org/ to see what I should do to propose some
talks.

For a while, I was confused!  I thought that I was on the Strakt
website, because of the huge "STRAKT" right at the top of the page where
you'd expect "Europython" to be.

I realize now that this is a banner advertisement, given to Strakt in
thanks for being a major sponsor.  I think that it's fine to thank
sponsors by giving them prominent advertising.  However, it just doesn't
look like a banner ad.

The banner is not visually distict from its surroundings.  It is a lot
larger than the Europython logo, and dwarfs it in terms of its visual
impact.  There is no discrete "sponsor advertisement" text next to the
banner.  The banner is on the same line as the conference logo, whereas
most banner ads are on a line on their own (see slashdot.org).

--
Steve Alexander