[EuroPython] IRC meeting log 2004-12-20

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 23:55:32 CET 2005

Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:

>> As far as I know, we're not organising an art conference ;-)
>> I'd prefer functional, clean and efficient over "pretty", every time.
>>
> Yes, sure. But it doesn't have to look geeky either.
>
> most professional conferences have attractive front page that make you
> feel that things are happening:
>
> See for instance:
> - http://www.gdconf.com/

The top image is a total waste of space. I think it makes it look tacky.
That said, I think the columns below it are excellect.

> - http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/

This timed out for me.

> - http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2004/

Better, but again, a waste of space. Who wants to see stock pictures of
people wit ha meaningly buzz phrase that should be in text, if it should
be there at all. Again, the columns underneath are good though, and I
think the sponsor placement on the right is better, more visibility for
sponsors which is a good thing :-)

> using the right images help draw attention to events. If you have the
> conference dinner coming up, just showing a picture of food or a
> restaurant will help you find the page faster because you are in a set
> of mind where you don't care about yesterday's tracks.

I agree, but that's not what's happening on the front page...

>> Just to be clear, I'd like to see the 3 very important columns that
>> are currently at the bottom on the page moved up to the top.
>>
> OK can you have a look here:
> http://europython-develop.zope.nl/?page=front2

Much better :-) The blue of the boxes clashes with the clue of the
background and the third blue of the top and bottom bars...

> the problem is that the title of the menu item enter in visual conflict
> with the titles of the boxes
> http://www.medic.chalmers.se/~jmo/ep2005/layout2.png

I think letting the menu bar items shrink and seperate them by |'s will
solve this...

> I reckon there should be a graphical separation between them, not
> necessarily the current huge picture though :-)

*shrugs* I think the seperation is fine as it is, without a graphic...

> The idea is that it has to be dynamic with an effective date and an
> expiration date.
> This is for keynote speeches, conference dinner, conference highlights, ...
>
> as they did on this conference:
> http://www.medic.chalmers.se/~jmo/ep2005/newspaper-layout.png
>
> news items with vignettes.

I find that all pretty hard to read. I like the idea, but it's tough to
make it not look like a mosaic of letters in no apparent order ;-)

cheers,

Chris

PS: Thanks for all your hard work, I know I'm being critical, but I do
appreciate how hard good graphical design is...

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk