[EuroPython] Computers off during sessions.

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Jan 20 15:41:02 CET 2005

Harald Massa wrote:
>>This may be hard to understand for some people, but in general
>>I think we strive to make EuroPython a better experience for
>>*everybody*, not just the geek camp and thus listen to requests
>>like Mikael's.
> I am quite positive about listening to every request. At the same time not
> only the people annoyed about keyboard-klicks should be allowed to speak up,
> but also the people who really improve there experience by using notebooks.
> If the sum of negative utility of attendees who get annoyed by
> keyboard-klicking is greater than the positive utility of attendees who are
> able to improve there experience by using computers, I am all positive to
> restrict myself.
> But if the cummulated negative utility of "annoyed people" is smaller than
> the positive utility, I would really not recommend to do a decision which
> lowers the total utility of the conference.

Fair enough. How about we ask the attendees as the opening event ?

>>(I'm not even talking about the
>>speakers playing the Windows or KDE anthem).
> My impression is that we all agree on that; speakers should be off as well
> as mobile phones should be off.
>>The same applies to things like delays due to beamer problems
> You are right; beamer problems suck. But I am quite sure, that nobody really
> wants to have them. Nonetheless, I have attended presentation with much much
> bigger budgets and much much more technicans which had equal worse beamer
> problems.

That's no excuse (you'll always find people doing worse,
but that doesn't really solve your problem :-)

The "nobody really wants to have them" is a misinterpretation:
The main reason we are having these problems is because speakers
want to show off things on their personal tool box, instead of
using notebooks provided by the track chairmen.

Marc-Andre Lemburg

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 20 2005)