[EuroPython] Computers off during sessions.

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Jan 20 15:41:02 CET 2005

Harald Massa wrote:
>>This may be hard to understand for some people, but in general
>>I think we strive to make EuroPython a better experience for
>>*everybody*, not just the geek camp and thus listen to requests
>>like Mikael's.
>
> I am quite positive about listening to every request. At the same time not
> only the people annoyed about keyboard-klicks should be allowed to speak up,
> but also the people who really improve there experience by using notebooks.
>
> If the sum of negative utility of attendees who get annoyed by
> keyboard-klicking is greater than the positive utility of attendees who are
> able to improve there experience by using computers, I am all positive to
> restrict myself.
>
> But if the cummulated negative utility of "annoyed people" is smaller than
> the positive utility, I would really not recommend to do a decision which
> lowers the total utility of the conference.

Fair enough. How about we ask the attendees as the opening event ?

>>(I'm not even talking about the
>>speakers playing the Windows or KDE anthem).
>
> My impression is that we all agree on that; speakers should be off as well
> as mobile phones should be off.
>
>>The same applies to things like delays due to beamer problems
>
> You are right; beamer problems suck. But I am quite sure, that nobody really
> wants to have them. Nonetheless, I have attended presentation with much much
> bigger budgets and much much more technicans which had equal worse beamer
> problems.

That's no excuse (you'll always find people doing worse,
but that doesn't really solve your problem :-)

The "nobody really wants to have them" is a misinterpretation:
The main reason we are having these problems is because speakers
want to show off things on their personal tool box, instead of
using notebooks provided by the track chairmen.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 20 2005)