[EuroPython] #europython minutes 23rd January 2006

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Mon Jan 23 19:48:51 CET 2006

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 19:13 +0100, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> holger krekel wrote:
>
> >* Renaming EuroPython to Pycon idea
> >  Holger mentions the idea of renaming EuroPython to Pycon.
> >  The idea is generally welcomed but a number of people think
> >  that we should not tackle this for 2006.  Everybody agrees
> >  that heading for some more discussions with organisers
> >  from non-europe Python conferences e.g. at Pycon 2006
> >  makes sense.  The guiding idea is to have a worldwide
> >  naming/context umbrella for Python conferences.
> >

> -1 unless it's named EuroPycon
>
> The worldwide naming/context is already present: Python (or Pycon)
> This would be very confusing imo to have two events with the very same name

We didn't yet motivate the idea much here on the list
and neither at the meeting.  Basically it's an idea that relates to
PR/marketing.  Having Pycon US, Pycon Europe, Pycon Brasil etc.
would show that Python has a world wide connected developer community.
It's certainly not about having the exactly same name.  Btw, people
already expressed at the meeting that they would only consider it
if the US guys would append some regional suffix as well.

Anyway, let's not go wild at the idea for 2006 unless we want
to definitely exclude the consideration at all ... but that
didn't appear so at todays #europython meeting, at least.
Actually the "Zope" webframework renaming was supposed
to be the thread-spawning discussion :)

cheers,

    holger