[EuroPython] Python conference software

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at ita.chalmers.se
Wed Jan 25 19:29:18 CET 2006

Jacob Hallen wrote:

>This said, I'll be just as happy not doing registration with the CAPS system,
>as it would require a bit of work from me. However, I think that the CAPS
>system encapsulates the lessons we have learned in a way that the other
>proposals are unlikely to do.
>
>For the website with information about the conference, what we had the last 2
>years was hopelessly over-engineered. There is need for some fairly advanced
>templating, which allows for the display of banner ads, unified dropdown
>menus and such, but the content management behind has really been in the way
>of collaborative work on the website. The ideal solution from my horizon
>would be a very small directory tree with a simple include mechanism and
>files written in either xhtml or Rest. The webserver would handle the
>includes, the Rest translations and finally fill in the dynamic content
>before serving up a webpage. Doing Plone or CPS for handling a site of about
>25 web pages is as impractical as shooting mosquitos with an anti-aircraft
>gun.
>
>Jacob Hallén

There are 120 pages on the current europython site (not 25). Doing that
on a wiki with banners, menus, ... is not completely as trivial as you
suggest (see for instance what you'll get with a wiki
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyCon2006 )

Concerning registration most conferences I've attended handled
registration via email or via fax (cf
http://www.python.org/pycon/2006/register.html) or via simple HTML/CGI
forms. They certainly use some desktop software to organize talks,
attendees, schedules, but I don't see the value of doing this through
the web. It is definitely overkill and cumbersome as it proved out to be
during last year's conference.

/JM