[EuroPython] Python conference software

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at ita.chalmers.se
Fri Jan 27 09:36:46 CET 2006

Nicolas Chauvat wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:11:33PM +0100, Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
>

>>I agree, but if you are supposed to use a piece of paper and a pen to
>>write an essay, are you going to complain about how bad the tools were
>>for writing and how much better a typewriter would have been as an
>>excuse for not having written the essay?
>>

>In this case she got her company to provide the software she needed to
>do the job. I do not call that an "excuse for not writing the essay".
>
>Whoever does the work choses the tools. If CPS gets dropped then so be
>it. Plone was dropped before it (and *I*', among others, had spent
>time with it) and pure Zope was dropped before that (and *I*, among
>others, had spent time as well).  EuroPython happened whatever tool
>got used. I am sure it will happen again this year even if the
>organizers decide to work with Dreamweaver[*].
>
>Oh, and actually what Jacob was proposing (rest documents stored in
>svn and turned to html) was far from stupid, but since he is not the
>one scheduled to do the work he does not get to chose either :)
>
>Could this stop now? Could we let Benedikt and whoever is commited to
>take care of the site go ahead with what they want to use?

FYI, you missed the point.
My comments were not about the tools; it was about commitment from
participants.

I have no suggestion whatsoever concerning the tools that are going to
be used this year:

Participants propose the solutions they like, and once a solution has
been selected by a common agreement (as it was done on IRC during a
meething in december las year), the contributors should get in
"contribution mode", not in the "I-don't-like-the-software" mode or in
the "I'm-going-to-evalute-the-workflow" mode.

Organizing a conference is not about evaluating or selling software.

/JM