[EuroPython] Future of EuroPython discussions

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Jul 28 00:38:27 CEST 2007

On Friday 27 July 2007 16:29, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> I think for most part this was due to the location and people not
> being aware of how nice Vilnius really is - not so much due to the
> level of interest declining.

True enough. People can't use the same excuses next year. ;-)

> As with all these community conferences, travel costs are way higher
> than the conference costs, so the decision whether to attend or not
> is often driven by non-conference factors. Emphasizing the touristic
> attractions likely helps in that decision.

Indeed. Getting the details published well in advance might help reduce the
travel costs, too.

[...]

> > the attendance fee might not be the biggest
> > cost at EuroPython now, but these megaconferences with a ticket price of
> > 600 EUR or more certainly don't seem compatible with EuroPython to me.
> > So, although one can look with envy at PyCon's 580 person level of
> > attendance, I think it's actually something to be worried about as an
> > organiser.
>
> How much difference (apart from the upfront costs) does it make if you
> have 300 or 400 attendees ?

I guess from what has been said about PyCon that there isn't that much of a
difference between 200 and 400 attendees if the venue is big enough. However,
if PyCon grows much bigger, I imagine that it could affect the choice of
venue, although I'd have to lurk on the appropriate mailing lists to see how
exactly - they seem to have a lot of restrictions on such matters already.

What I notice about megaconferences is that they seem intent on getting much
larger numbers of people, booking presumably very big and expensive venues,
and encouraging corporate or organisational participation where larger fees
seem like justifiable expenses, even with the complicated sign-up structure
and discounts. Perhaps genuine community events can scale to the same level,
and I'd be interested to hear of any that have done so, but I'm skeptical
about the social effects that would result, anyway.

[...]

> Indeed. This has been a problem with all EPC events: the organizers
> should make it clear that the event is indeed going to happen - and
> do that early on.

Early EPC events seemed to generate a lot of buzz, with interviews of
high-profile participants, and so on. Perhaps we need to do more of that in
future.

Paul