[EuroPython] Whom would you like to see at Europython

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Mar 24 18:30:04 CET 2007

On Friday 23 March 2007 14:39, Stefano Masini wrote:
> On 3/23/07, Nicolas Pettiaux <nicolas.pettiaux at ael.be> wrote:
> > What about inviting somone who is responsible in this OLPC project to
> > talk about "OLPC project and python" ? (or an update of Alan Kay
> > lecture of lact year about squeak and python)
> Thinking back to past Europython conferences I remember Alan Kay,
> Steven Pemberton, Mark Shuttleworth... they all talked about widely
> different topics.

Steven Pemberton's talk managed to be highly entertaining and yet be only
tangentially related to Python, although he did demonstrate some ABC code if
I remember correctly. I suppose this shows that people don't have to talk
about Python, but they do need to have some level of association with it.

> Wouldn't OLPC sound like a sort of repetition with what Alan Kay
> talked about? As the broad argument I mean...

Alan Kay supposedly has an agenda of his own, as is often discussed on the
edu-sig mailing list, but the level of OLPC content was relatively low
compared to talks actually about that project. Still, the wider themes are
similar, although Jim Gettys' FOSDEM talk [1], for example, was more about
the technology and less about the applications - something which may be
drifting away from the interests shared by that project and parts of the
anticipated audience.

P.S. Reviews of Ivan Krstić's OLPC talk were wildly positive, but I haven't
seen any recordings of it yet. Were any audio/video recordings made available
for last year's EuroPython? I've given up on seeing any for recent PyCons.

[1] http://www.fosdem.org/2007/media/video