[EuroPython] Whom would you like to see at Europython

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Mar 24 18:30:04 CET 2007

On Friday 23 March 2007 14:39, Stefano Masini wrote:
> On 3/23/07, Nicolas Pettiaux <nicolas.pettiaux at ael.be> wrote:
> > What about inviting somone who is responsible in this OLPC project to
> > talk about "OLPC project and python" ? (or an update of Alan Kay
> > lecture of lact year about squeak and python)
>
> Thinking back to past Europython conferences I remember Alan Kay,
> Steven Pemberton, Mark Shuttleworth... they all talked about widely
> different topics.

Steven Pemberton's talk managed to be highly entertaining and yet be only
tangentially related to Python, although he did demonstrate some ABC code if
I remember correctly. I suppose this shows that people don't have to talk
about Python, but they do need to have some level of association with it.

> Wouldn't OLPC sound like a sort of repetition with what Alan Kay
> talked about? As the broad argument I mean...

Alan Kay supposedly has an agenda of his own, as is often discussed on the
edu-sig mailing list, but the level of OLPC content was relatively low
compared to talks actually about that project. Still, the wider themes are
similar, although Jim Gettys' FOSDEM talk [1], for example, was more about
the technology and less about the applications - something which may be
drifting away from the interests shared by that project and parts of the
anticipated audience.

Paul

P.S. Reviews of Ivan Krstić's OLPC talk were wildly positive, but I haven't
seen any recordings of it yet. Were any audio/video recordings made available
for last year's EuroPython? I've given up on seeing any for recent PyCons.

[1] http://www.fosdem.org/2007/media/video