[EuroPython] Videostreamin' ?

Christian Scholz cs at comlounge.net
Mon May 7 13:01:10 CEST 2007

Hi there!

I wanted to propose to stream parts of the conference live via internet
and eventually Second Life. I'd bring the camera anyway and streaming
can be done either via http://ustream.tv (very easy setup, just plugin
the camera and click the Record button, flash plugin) and/or via
Quicktime Streaming Server. The latter would be needed for livestreaming
it into Second Life (which I would take care of).

The advantages

- possibility for people who cannot attend to attend virtually
- marketing for Python (if there are enough viewers then ustream.tv
might put this stream also on the frontpage)
- if we do Second Life we might get some blog and link love from the
Second Life community.
- feedback from the outside. For each ustream channel there is an IRC
channel and a Java applet attached to the stream (plus you can also show
the stream on your own page via embed). In Second Life people could do
the same.

What is needed?

- best would be a network cable (wifi was too flaky at the Plone
conference) and a power connection for laptop and camera
- for Quicktime it would be cool if somebody could provide a server with
Darwin Streaming Server installed. ustream.tv should work out of the box
but cannot be shown in Second Life. This server should have a good
connection of course (I had problems with my Strato server back then
when I did this in Seattle for the Plone Conference)

What I would do

- setup the location in Second Life, do the Second Life marketing (I'd
need a press release)
- setup ustream channel etc.
- do the work at the conference (help would be appreciated though)

Unfortunately one can only do one thing, stream to ustream or Second
Life. If we want to do both, we'd need 2 cameras and 2 laptops.
OTOH if we do quicktime we can do both, Second Life and webpage, but QT
seems usually a bit flaky and might not always work while flash video
seems more stable to me.

So the question is, if there is interest. For the Plone conference at
least there was interest and we also had some visitors at the Second
Life booth and I know that people wanted to watch it at least via the
web (and unfortunately it did not always work).

If there is interest, I'd be happy to do that but of course any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Christian

--
Christian Scholz                         video blog: http://comlounge.tv
COM.lounge                                   blog: http://mrtopf.de/blog
EMail: cs at comlounge.net
IRC: MrTopf on irc.freenode.net, Tao_T on irc.efnet.org
Second Life Nick: Tao Takashi
Second Life Blog: http://taotakashi.wordpress.com

See me at video blogging week 2007: http://mrtopf.tv