[EuroPython] Talk lengths

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Tue Apr 1 23:12:54 CEST 2008

M.-A. Lemburg:

> The comments on talk length are interesting... 30 minutes were
> considered too short. I found 30 minutes a bit short as well
> last time I did a talk in Vilnius. If you want to have discussions
> and more time switching between talks, then 45 minutes are a lot
> better, IMHO: 30 minutes talk, 10 minutes discussion, 5 minutes break
> and switching.
>
> What do others think ?

I assume, the average speaker likes to give longer talks and the
average listener likes to consume shorter talks - a least for
average talks.

If you need prove that exceptional talks can be less than 20 min-
utes have a look at ted.com, maybe starting here:

   http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/92  (Hans Rosling)
   http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/140 (Hans Rosling)
   http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/229 (Jill Bolte Taylor)
   http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/237 (Clifford Stoll)

Thanks to Laura for pointing me to Hans Rosling's videos.

David Boddie:

> For simplicity, we decided that we should keep the 30 vs. 60 minute
> slots and
> make 45 minute sessions fill the rest of the time with discussion.
> The idea
> being that in-depth talks could run to around 45 minutes with 15
> minutes for
> questions and demos - the longer the talk, the more time you have to
> leave
> for questions. That's the theory, at least.

For EuroPython I think this is the best compromise and the easiest
to schedule.

Regards,

Dinu