[EuroPython] New logo for Europython

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 20:14:05 CET 2008

On Feb 12, 2008 10:20 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 09:50:29AM -0800, kirby urner wrote:
> > I somewhat like the idea of a logo branding *a conference*
> > more than the idea of Europython in the abstract.  Something
> > more Vilnius in tone, a python entwined in a glass ship or
> > something.  As the conference moves about, the logo could
> > be refreshed each time, always with some local color, just
> > an idea.
>
> Gediminas Tower is probably a good local symbol of Vilnius
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gediminas_Tower).

True, although the glass ship suggestion wasn't just
out of the blue either.  It already has a snake head of
sorts:

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2007/07/glass-ship.html

> However choosing to have a localised logo will add more work to
> volunteer logo designers.  How do they feel about it?
>
> Marius Gedminas

Seems like there's no shortage of talent in Europe,
plus this is a way to showcase local artists, get some
free press.

The annual EuroPython logo contest...  good be
prestigious, given how important Python has become.

Think of this as a way to involve people *willing*
to learn some Python (the computer language) but
already having very well developed *other* skill sets.

Attracting such people, in some cases family, is
a key challenge for Pycons as well.  Looking for
threads that open the field to non/wannabe coders,
is how we stay from becoming too ingrown (which,
in the Jared Diamond sense of "why civilizations
fail" would *not* be a good thing).

Kirby