[EuroPython] Language Advice for Speakers?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 20:19:40 CEST 2008

Hi Jack --

Having attended EuroPython last year as a USA "English" speaker, I'd
have to say Euros are quite good at English, used as a compromise, but
that native speakers have this nasty habit of speaking as quickly as
possible, especially during lightning talks, which is disrespectful
and/or insensitive and/or unskillful.

I think geeks in general like to rattle off at high speed, part of how
they built a reputation as geeks, a lot of 'em, i.e. "fast talk" is a
tool of the trade, but in an international conference I'd say the
number one rule of thumb would be to *slow down* -- especially if
you're from the UK as I have a hard time understanding those heavy
accents :-D

As a former resident of Manatee County, FL, I confess not
understanding your "Oh the huge Manatee" allusion, though I bet Google
would help me out there, if it's a joke others know.

Also, I wouldn't say "ESL" as that implies "second" whereas POV's
Aistė Kesminaitė, a Lithuanian, speaks fluent Polish, German, French
and I forget what else besides English, no idea in what order she
learned them.

It's mainly Americans who are mono-lingual, and so come across as
semi-retarded in Europe, but we compensate in other ways, such as by
being extra loud. ;-D

Here're some blog posts re Vilnius from last year, if you want some
tourism ideas (I recommend the TV tower, which I walked to, but don't
expect to take pictures (no photos allowed from the rotating beer
joint)):

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2007/07/europython-hqs.html
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2007/07/glass-ship.html
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2007/07/vilnius.html
http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2007/07/sunday-in-vilnius.html
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2007/07/slow-food-nation.html

You'll note in that last post how I went into culture shock, not
having been outside the US for awhile:  one forgets how we take
obesity for granted in the USA.  I gave up beer for a whole year as a
result, not wanting to be as fat as that guy in the picture (me).

Kirby Urner
Portland, Oregon