[EuroPython] [PyCon-Organizers] Speaker wanted! :)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Jul 7 12:51:42 CEST 2009

Jeff Rush wrote:
> A.M. Kuchling wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 07:13:20AM -0400, Catherine Devlin wrote:
>>> On the general topic of helping conferences and speakers find each
>>> other, that's the intent of this wiki page:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonSpeakers
>>>
>>> ... which, granted, hasn't really achieved critical mass yet.  I'd
>>> planned to spam all this year's PyCon speakers with invitations to
>>> sign themselves up, but... uh.
>
> I'm not sure I'd say that.  Being a speaker at PyCon doesn't mean you
> are looking for future gigs or that you speak professionally.  I
> wouldn't expect everyone who spoke at any Python event to sign up as a
> speaker.
>

>> Before doing that -- is a wiki the right place for this info?  Would
>> it be better to use some service that would provide tagging and
>> geographical searching?  But I have no idea what service would be
>> suitable; neither LinkedIn nor Facebook seem right or offer the right
>> features.
>
> A wiki is not ideal but no one has found a site with the features or
> legal rules (there are sites for A-class professional speakers) we need.
>  There have been at least two efforts to sprint on it to create one,
> using the Google AppEngine.  Both  failed to sustain momentum, similar
> to how the Python Jobs App died.  If anyone tackles this, get the notes
> from me.
>
> The children of the cobbler continue to go without shoes, and I continue
> to have people ask me why if Python is so cool for webapps do the basic
> needs of the community go unmet?  "People are busy" while accurate seems
> a poor response.

I asked much the same question at both PyCon and EuroPython (with a
rather more positive response at the latter, I might add, possibly due
to the talk being a plenary). See "ThePSFAndUs.pdf" on

  http://wiki.europython2009.eu/TalkMaterials

I believe it's up to the PSF to advertise this need until it gets
filled. If necessary I'll threaten to have PHP programmers do it ;-)

regards
 Steve
Watch PyCon on video now!          http://pycon.blip.tv/