[EuroPython] Help me finalise my PyObjC talk!

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 25 19:41:42 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Orestis Markou<orestis at orestis.gr> wrote:
> Hi Luke,
>
> this is best suited for the pyobjc-dev list, but the summary is that no,
> pyobjc works only the mac, simply because while ObjC itself is a free
> standard, the only mature libraries/runtime are Apple's. There is GNUStep,
> which aims to reimplement a lot of things for free software platforms, but
> AFAIK it's been unmaintained for some time now, and therefore support for it
> was removed from PyObjC.

 *deflate*.  ok, that's what i thought.  but, through gnustep, there
is at least hope.  thank you.

 btw if you have any demos of how to do DOM manipulation, i will still
be very interested, because it will be a start (albeit a mac-specific
one).

 something like this:

 doc = {somethingWrappedFromWebKitViaPyObjC}.document
 body = doc.getElementsByTagName['body'].item(0)
 body.appendChild(doc.createTextNode("hello!"))

literally like that - yes i know it looks like javascript, but it
isn't, it's python.

if you can show me how that's done i will be paying attention and in
the front row :)

l.