[EuroPython] Internet connectivity for speakers

John Pinner funthyme at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 19:15:49 CEST 2010

Hello Nicholas,

On 1 July 2010 13:05, Nicholas Tollervey <ntoll at ntoll.org> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have a question: given last years rather problematic wifi

The problems last year were caused by:
1. Delegates over-using the system, for instance downloading videos
and iso images, which you can only call crass stupidity.
2. People messing with the system. For example wifi stopped working in
one room completely. It turned out that a presenter had unplugged the
Access Point from the network, and plugged the cable direct into his
laptop, then left the AP unplugged after his talk.
3. Changes made by the venue to the system which we had put in the
year before (which worked well).

> - will there be some means of guaranteeing Internet connectivity for the speakers (I'd love to do a "live" demo during one of my talks and in order to do that I'd need a connection)? Perhaps a CAT5 lead for the sole use of speakers thus by-passing wifi wobbles might be possible..?

Difficult, in general the cabling infrastructure at the venue does not
permit, and we are not allowed to mess with it.

The wifi should be quite adequate, providing that delegtes are
sensible in their usage. (And using your laptop, eg for remote system
support, during talks is extremely discourteous to the speaker).

We should have extra bandwidth this year, and more access points, so
there really should not be a problem if delegates co-operate.

> It's a nice-to-have rather than essential element of my talk and I don't want to put anyone to any trouble - organising Europython is probably hard enough as it is...

you can say that again!

> Thanks in advance and looking forward to it,

Thanks, and Best Wishes,

John
--
EuroPython is coming! - http://www.europython.eu - 17th-24th July