[EuroPython] Getting there not by air

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Fri Jul 16 10:22:10 CEST 2010

Am 16.07.2010, 01:08 Uhr, schrieb anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
> I'd like to get to conference, but with round trip air flight from
> Belarus the participation
> price rises to a little bit more than 1500$ - too much for my budget.
> Can you point me
> to some railroad route planning sites to evaluate alternative ways?

Hi Anatoly,

you can probably plan a train journey using the German rail website - say
Minsk to Berlin which takes about 19 hours. Birmingham is probably another
10 hours by train from there (via Cologne and Brussels)

But that won't be cheap because of the channel tunnel trains. Might be
better getting to Poland and getting a coach. It looks like Bialystok -
London is a single route:

> Speaking about alternatives, does anybody how long it could take to
> hitchhike through
> the Europe from Poland to UK these days? I hope that hitchhiking in
> Europe is not
> illegal like in U.S.

Hitchhiking is certainly legal but can take quite a while but it's
certainly something I'd not want to do in the current heat wave, from
which the UK has just escaped.

Good luck with your travels!

Charlie Clark
Managing Director