[EuroPython] Getting there not by air

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Jul 16 22:20:08 CEST 2010

anatoly techtonik wrote:
> Thanks for replies. I was able to plan the route using the link by Richard
> http://plannerint.b-rail.be/bin/query.exe/en?L=b-rail
> But there are no prices, unfortunately, and I've been told that the
> trip will be expensive anyway.
>
> Going by train will take 31 hours one way or about 3 days for a round trip.
> Total distance is 2400km, so even by car it will take 2 days one way
> with one driver.
> So travelling by bus or hitchhiking is not an option - I just won't
> get there in time.
>
> Given all the above, I might have better chances visiting the next
> PyCon - last time tickets to California and back were about 1300$, so
> it should be even less expensive for Atlanta, GA. Seems like with due
> preparation in advance I could be able to find cheap flights. I'll be
> aware of the fact next time. Thanks for the help.

The best options for flights are via Frankfurt or Warsaw if you're
traveling from Minsk. Trains take ages and are not all that much
cheaper. Buses are the cheapest option, but also risky.

BTW: Getting visas will be the bigger problem and take a lot longer
than finding cheap flights. If you plan to attend EPC next year,
you're lucky, since the Schengen VISA for Italy will suffice.
For the UK, you'd have to get an extra UK visa, in addition to
a Schengen one to cover the stop-over in Frankfurt or Warsaw,
AFAIK.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 16 2010)
2010-07-19: EuroPython 2010, Birmingham, UK                 2 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/