[EuroPython] Suggestion for next year

Vilya Harvey vilya.harvey at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 17:33:13 CEST 2010

Hiya,

A suggestion for next years conference: hold a fast-forward session on the
first day.

This is something I've seen at other conferences like Eurographics and
SIGGRAPH; it's both very useful and great fun. It's sort of like a condensed
version of the lightning talks (which have been great so far, BTW). The idea
is that everyone who's giving a talk gets 30 secs to come up on stage and
give an overview/sales pitch for their talk.

As a delegate, it makes it a lot easier to figure out which talks will be
interesting to you. You can get a feel for both the topic and the speaker,
much more so than with a published abstract and speaker bio. As a speaker,
you get to gauge audience interest in your topic. Some people just give a
summary of their talk, some people go for poetry or song or get even more
creative. Did I mention it's great fun? :-)

If you think it sounds like a good idea I'm happy to provide further details
on how to run it smoothly.

Hope that's useful,

Vil.
(Vilya Harvey)