[EuroPython] Diversity of attendees

Filip Kłębczyk fklebczyk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 17:24:31 CEST 2014

W dniu 17.04.2014 15:23, M.-A. Lemburg pisze:

> We had wanted to make the Berlin proposal public sooner than that,
> but we had wanted to put up an updated proposal after the venue
> changes compared to their original proposal. We never received
> an updated proposal, so then eventually went live with the original
> one.

What about the proposal from Belgium you mentioned on EP in the lobby?
So there was no proposal or what?

>> What false accusations? That you said:
>> "Poles wouldn't be able to organize Europython anyway"
>>
>> These are your words. Have you already forgotten how and what where you shouting it in the hotel
>> lobby? Or you don't want to remember.
>
> Yes, those false accusations.

I never record talks with other people, but will have to use sound
recording device next time talking with you or ask for some neutral
witness, because otherwise you easily deny the facts.

> I have many Polish friends and don't
> have any doubt that any one of them can organize a EuroPython
> conference. In fact, Ewa, the PSF event organizer is from Poland
> and she's managing PyCon US, a 2000+ attendee event.

Good, that you changed your mind about Poles. I appreciate that.

> I know you were complaining about the CFP for 2014 and was trying
> to mediate a bit after you had approached both Fabio and Giovanni
> in rather inappropriate ways. I apologized to you for the delays in
> the CFP process, but in the end, the mediation effort didn't work out.

Well if you are calling mediation shouting and insulting in the lobby,
then congratulations for your sense of humour!

> You had missed the CFP deadline for 2013 and complained.

I haven't complained about CFP 2013 - we were only asking about
possibility to apply. So you are making false statements here.

> You then
> missed the deadline again for 2014 and complained.

Interestingly everyone missed deadline in 2014 and only Python Verband
which you are active member and candidate for chair in last polls (not
chosen) didn't miss anything. If everything was so perfect, why EPS
considered moving deadline further, but then changed it's mind about the
idea? It shows that something wasn't all right.

> Instead of putting so much effort into complaining, why don't
> you redirect your energy into putting together a preliminary
> proposal for 2015 or a future year, so that you are prepared and
> only need to tweak it a bit to meet the final CFP requirements ?

I'm currently putting my energy to make PyCon PL better than last one. I
haven't considered applying for organizing EuroPython after such "good"
experiences from 2012/2013 with EPS.

>> As I've already wrote I appreciate EPS is finally changing. It's a pity it wasn't that way year ago.
  > It's a learning process for all of us. We make mistakes and learn,
> just like everyone else in the community.

I have a feeling that this change was a result of controversial process
for 2014 CFP. If I would sit quietly maybe EPS wouldn't feel a need for
change.

Regards,
Filip