[EuroPython] conference length

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Wed Apr 23 23:18:57 CEST 2014

We all have ideas about what is good.   bottom line: it's complicated.
There are no unit tests, just personal judgment.

Some group of people plan and run an event = good.
To this year's team, and really all PyCon's I have been aware of, keep up
the good work.  I am not aware of any event that should not have
happened.   People come, they learn, they leave and post about how amazing
it was.

If some other group of people want to run some different event, that's good
too.  You will get support and advice from the 100's of us that have helped
in the past.  And you are welcome to ignore any and all of it.

I see lots of effort into trying to tune a single event to make it better.
I think it wold be better if that effort was put into creating another
event.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:

> In a message of Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:13:56 +0200, "M.-A. Lemburg" writes:
> <snip>
>
> >We should probably put the question of which format is preferred
> >on the conference feedback form and then see whether a change would
> >be worthwhile to improve the attendee experience.
>
> --------
>
> You have to be careful with this.  If there is any bias to be found -- and
> there may be none, of course - the people who attend a conference can
> be assumed to be biased in favour of <feature X> where <feature X> is
> something that the conference just did.  After all, they are the people
> who just voted with their wallets and their feet.
>
> The people you would like to poll are the people who didn't attend this
> years EP, especially those who attended in the past, to find out why it
> is that they didn't. If it turns out that they hate <feature X> enough
> to stop coming, then the conference organisers will have some hard
> decisions to make.
>
> The demands to grow the conference and have more people attending are
> fundamentally incompatible with the hatred some people have for large
> conferences.  A desire to reach out to new programmers is incompatible
> with a desire for many fewer introductory talks.  Organising a
> conference is hard work, in part because you have to try to balance
> these demands.  But if you ever miss the mark, badly, in your
> balancing act it won't be among the people that attended that you will
> find out where it was you went wrong.
>
> Laura

Carl K