[EuroPython] More thoughts about conference's fees

Samet Atdağ samet2 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 02:47:31 CET 2014

I completely agree with Riccardo Attilio Galli. But I know Berlin is not
cheap. On the other hand, I'm going to skip 2014, because there are all
other costs plus conference fee is expensive.

I paid all my costs for Europython 2012 by myself because the company I
worked for didn't have any kind of conference support. They even didn't
allow me to go, so the conference week was cut off from my annual leave.
That was another cost I paid to go to Europython.

So there were two major costs (except my holidays) : (plane tickets +
hotel) and registration fee. I used to live in a fairly close country to
Italy, (Turkey) so plane tickets were around 200-300 EURO. If we ignore daily
expenses (like food, beers etc.) half of all costs would be the
registration fee (which was around 300 EURO).

I talked to a lot of people in EP2012 and there were only a few people
paying the costs. Others were supported by their companies.

If the tickets were 400 EURO in 2012, I couldn't even afford it. I even
couldn't afford a full ticket(300 EURO), I had been pursueing my masters degre

in 2012
, which allowed me to buy a student ticket (115 EURO).

Then PSF kindly paid my costs in 2013 for PyCon. This year PyCon will be in
Montreal, I can't attend because of dates. And I can't attend Europython
because I'm not supported  by any company, I missed early bird tickets and
400 EURO is not cheap. I want to attend Python conferences. But if registration
fees are expensive, it'll be like a private party, less number of people
will show up and probably individuals not supported by any company will
miss the fun. I'll miss the fun.

Sorry for my English (and if I mis-remember the ticket prices, numbers etc.)

Samet Atdag