[EuroPython] More thoughts about conference's fees

Giovanni Bajo giovanni at pycon.it
Fri Feb 7 11:31:55 CET 2014

Il giorno 07/feb/2014, alle ore 02:47, Samet Atdağ <samet2 at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> So there were two major costs (except my holidays) : (plane tickets + hotel) and registration fee. I used to live in a fairly close country to Italy, (Turkey) so plane tickets were around 200-300€. If we ignore daily expenses (like food, beers etc.) half of all costs would be the registration fee (which was around 300€).

Just to set the record straight, the early bird, personal, full ticket (inc. training) was €240 in 2012/2013. It didn’t include access to the conference dinner, which was €40 (the conference dinner is included in EP2014). The lite ticket (without training) was €190.

> I talked to a lot of people in EP2012 and there were only a few people paying the costs. Others were supported by their companies.

Again, just to put hard numbers out, the split between company, personal and student tickets in 2013 was 45%, 45%, 10% respectively (I don’t have the records here, so I’m quoting off the top of my mind, but it should be correct). I wouldn’t represent EuroPython as a conference where most people are being paid by their employer.

> Then PSF kindly paid my costs in 2013 for PyCon. This year PyCon will be in Montreal, I can't attend because of dates. And I can't attend Europython because I'm not supported  by any company, I missed early bird tickets and 400€ is not cheap.

Please notice that there is a financial aid program for EuroPython as well:
https://ep2014.europython.eu/en/registration/financial-assistance/

and you’re welcome to apply.

> I want to attend Python conferences. But if registration fees are expensive, it'll be like a private party, less number of people will show up and probably individuals not supported by any company will miss the fun. I'll miss the fun.

I understand your frustration. The main issue with the price is always venue costs, and venues tend to get proportionally more expensive as the conference grows. We could probably get a very cheap venue holding max 200 people, and sell tickets for €100 each. Would that make the conference less or more inclusive? Obviously, there would be wider range of people that are able to afford the conference, but at the same time there would be less tickets available, it would get sold out in less than a day, and the sale would sound like a gamble.

Nonetheless, we understand that there is a strong feeling that the current prices are "beyond the threshold" for some people. Thanks for your honest feedback, it is valuable.
--
Giovanni Bajo
Python Italia APS

EuroPython 2014