[EuroPython] Extra "Personal" ticket charge to Early Bird conditions on Monday

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Sat Feb 8 12:42:49 CET 2014

Andreas Jung:

> Please stop trolling and calling us unprofessional just because you
> did not understand the concept of early. It has been clearly announced
> that we would give out 300 tickets for reduced prices (which is almost
> 1/3 or 1/4 of all tickets). Nobody did expect that the personal tickets
> would sell that well (thank btw. to all the people that made an Early
> Bird purchase). At least the organization team has a financial plan and
> a budget and it is _obvious_ to every child that can calculate that you
> can not sell an undetermined number of tickets to a reduced price over
> some fixed period if you don't want to run over your budget. Adding 50
> more tickets to the Early Bird sale  gives us possibly less financial
> flexibility with other things. So I once again reject your "very
> unprofessional" claim. Many people of the organization team have been
> Python, Zope and Plone conferences for the last ten years. Feel free to
> participate in the organization or please think about your allegations
> next time.
>

> Andreas Jung
>
> (EuroPython 2014 Organizer)
> Regards
> Andreas Jung
> EuroPython 2014 Organization Team - Communications

While I can understand the thinking behind this comment, I think an escalation like this is neither helpful nor appropriate. There is a famous German piece of wisdom every German can be assumed to know: There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. (Es gibt keine dummen Fragen, nur dumme Antworten.) Apart from that, I think such comments also don't align with the "Code of Conduct" of the conference which I assume also applies to its organizers:

"EuroPython aims to be a welcoming event, where people meet in a friendly environment. Accordingly, we expect that all participants are expected to show respect and courtesy to other participants throughout the conference." (From https://ep2014.europython.eu/en/conference/code-conduct/)

I'd kindly suggest making appropriate changes in the wording to make it very clear that attributes like "welcoming" and "friendly" also apply to the organizers and the preparation phase of the conference, in the hope that they will be respected as well.

Best regards,

Dinu