[EuroPython] Call for Reviewers

Michael Foord michael at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Feb 10 13:08:41 CET 2014

On 10 Feb 2014, at 12:02, Michael Foord <michael at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:

> On 10 Feb 2014, at 11:51, Lutz Horn <lutz.horn at posteo.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 10.02.14 12:39, schrieb Andreas Jung:
>>> and we must not
>>
>> Why this? Who is forbidding open discussion?
>
> The interminable (and unhelpful) discussion and argument on every single minor point makes it unfeasible for people who want to actually get things done. That is also why "dictator" is the most effective model of open source project management.

Plus, where there are contract discussions, employment details and problem resolution (with legal and privacy implications or potential liability for slander/libel) are all reasons why some discussions must be kept private. Talk selection, where some talks are necessarily rejected, are better done in a "non public" space so reviewers are free to speak their mind.

There are lots of reasons / places where "completely open" is not the best model alongside the very genuine "we need to stop answering armchair critics and actually get stuff done".

Michael