[EuroPython] Work on Call for Participation for EuroPython 2015 has started

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Fri Jan 31 09:20:28 CET 2014

Hi,

On 31. Jan2014, at 09:14, Markus Zapke-Gründemann <markuszapke at gmx.net> wrote:

> Christian Theune schrieb:
>> not being part of the organizing team of EP 2014 but noticing how the
>> EuroPython society works:
>>
>> I’d rather recommend everyone who thinks about organizing anything to stay
>> miles away from the EPS for your own sanity.
>>
>> If anyone thinks about participating I’d recommend contacting the organizing
>> team for Berlin 2014 (which was publicly given the task of organizing 2015,
>> too AFAICT).
> I don't understand. Can you please explain in detail?

I’m close friends with some of the EP 2014 organizers. Seeing them in such pain an despair
caused by the EPS makes me feel so sad for our community.

Many of the current organizers have a lot of experience in organizing a conference and getting things done. Being volunteers they should not have to deal with this arrogance of bureaucracy. *ANY* organization having volunteers work for them should be extremely humble for having *anyone* spend their spare time for them. The EPS is the opposite. They position themselves as strong leaders of whatever (starting with a back-chamber election two years ago) and having to defend the good name of the EPS (for whatever reason) to avoid the volunteers doing anything wrong.

*sigh*

Again, to any organization that deals with volunteers: shut the fuck up, enable people, get out of their hair and get your ego down.

Christian

--
Christian Theune · gocept gmbh & co. kg
flyingcircus.io · operations as a service