[EuroPython] Work on Call for Participation for EuroPython 2015 has started

Horst Gutmann horst at zerokspot.com
Fri Jan 31 20:47:24 CET 2014

Hello Jacob :-)

I'm currently part of the web team for the EP2014 and have attended
EuroPython conferences for the last 4 years. I also helped on the web
team for the last couple of PyCon.DE conferences.

Thank you for these details from the EPS' point of view. They are much
appreciated :-) There have definitely been some friction points over the
last couple of months but it seems to me like everything has become much
more calm and quiet over the last month (at least from what I can gather
by not noticing all that my burner roofs anymore ;-)).

I just wanted to contribute a little bit to the whole "software" topic
since some of the statements issues here might be interpreted in a wrong
way:

The point about the software being used for EP2014 indicates that this
software is completely new, which isn't true. It has been used and
updated over the last couple of years for the PyCon.DE conference
series. It definitely needed and still needs a lot of work to use it for
a EuroPython conference, but I'm certain that this would be the case for
any software in preparation for a new conference year. We had some
issues with previous year's software which were discussed in other mail
exchanges between the EPS and the local organizer group, so I don't
really want to reiterate them here.

That being said, I totally agree that there should be a software
component to the conference package as handed out by the EPS and it
would help if you could reuse that explicit knowledge from previous
years. The problem with the current approach (speaking totally for
myself here and not as part of an organization or group) is, though,
that such a software should not be written as part of the preparation
for a specific event. The timeframe there is usually far to tight to
create anything that might be usable for anything but the local team. We
saw some of this in the previous year's software as we see it in this
year's. Me having worked on this software for the last 2 years
definitely helps here when it comes to adapting it to the EP format
which probably was one of the reasons why we eventually decided to go
with the PyCon.DE software.

That being a "flatout" refusal is slightly exaggerated. We thought quite
long and hard about it and most of use at least skimmed over the code to
see how easy it would be to adapt to what we had in mind. But as said
before, this has already been discussed in a more appropriate forum.

So my proposal would be to create some kind ... let's call it a "task
force" (that sounds exciting ;-)) with volunteers from as many previous
EP conferences to come up with a set of requirements and ideally also a
base-implementation that can then really be used by local organizers :-)

 From my perspective (and speaking only for myself here) the requirement
to use the previous software at this point is unrealistic if there are
alternatives the local group has more local knowledge with.

If you've read all the way down to this point: Thank you very much :-)

-- Horst