[execnet-dev] Issue #28: Group.__init() should be parallelised (hpk42/execnet)

Crusader Ky issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Wed Jan 22 16:51:22 CET 2014

New issue 28: Group.__init() should be parallelised
https://bitbucket.org/hpk42/execnet/issue/28/group__init-should-be-parallelised

Crusader Ky:

Consider the following snippet:

hosts = [...list of hosts...]
group = execnet.Group(("ssh %s" % host for host in hosts))
group.remote_exec(something)

Imagine having a grid of 200 hosts.
While Group.remote_exec() will run on all the hosts in parallel, Group.__init__() will connect via ssh to each one of them, *serially*. On a typical LAN, this easily accounts to *minutes*.

I attach a patch for multi.py that is intended to fix the problem. However, with that patch the program deadlocks in gateway_base.py, line 360, and I can't figure out the reason.