[Expat-discuss] Need to build on Win2000k

Matthew O. Persico persicom@acedsl.com
Tue Oct 9 18:50:10 2001

Matthew O. Persico wrote:

> I know that the recomended installation on Winboxes is to use the
> Windows binary. However, when trying to build XML::Parser, I get a
> compile error:
>
> D:\opt\Expat\1.95.2\libs\expat.lib : fatal error LNK1106: invalid file
> or disk full: cannot seek to 0x3b620589
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link' : return code '0xc'
> Stop.
>
> I have gotten this type of error before. It is usually due to trying to
> link with some lib file build with VC++6.0. I am using VC++5.0. :-(
>
> I took a shot at using the expat.dsw file in the Expat\Source directory
> of the Win32 distribution. I got this error
>     LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "LIBCMTD.lib"
>     Error executing link.exe.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers as to how I may proceed?
>
> Thank you

Turns out (with a little mental prodding from brc@fourlittlemice.com)
that the library was back on the installation disk, in plain sight, no
CAB files involved (surprise, surprise). I dropped the library into the
DevStudio tree and volia! it linked like a charm.

My next problem is that while I was building Perl's XML::Parser, the
test kept failing because it couldn't find

XML_GetSpecfiedAttributeCount

in the expat.dll. If any one has any other clues, I'd be grateful again,
(realizing this is NOT a Perl group).

--
Matthew O. Persico

http://www.acecape.com/dsl