[Expat-discuss] expatj

Jerome Marc marcjero@yahoo.com
Mon Apr 15 14:21:53 2002

Hello,

I would like to share some interesting work I did last week with Expat.

I was looking for a very fast Java parser and I thought to write a Java =
sax2 driver for Expat.
So Expat is always a C compiled library and the Java sax classes work =
with the library through JNI.
High level api can easily be done with Java and we got a very fast, tiny =
parser in native code.

The question is : Is it much faster than a 100% pure Java parser ? The =
answer seems to be YES. I know that JNI calls are much slower than =
standard Java method invocation but my first tests shows that this =
expatj is several times faster than Xerces-J sax2 !

I have to complete handlers management code and then I will try serious =
benchmarks. Did Anyone experience some sax2 stuff on top of Expat ? I =
suppose some experiences about that should help me a lot...=20
For example, SkippedEntity handler is a real nightmare :-)

Thanks a lot about reactions and ideas.

Jerome