[Expat-discuss] Re: [xml-dev] version numbers and infosets

Karl Waclawek karl@waclawek.net
Tue Jul 23 06:06:06 2002

> Yes.  But I have since been persuaded that it would be a mistake to
> require 1.0 processors to reject 1.1-labelled documents that are
> otherwise well-formed XML 1.0.

Great.
That allows us to keep Expat the same, but still allow the application
to raise an error, if the context requires it.

> I think the best compromise is to say that documents labelled with a
> version other than 1.0 are not well-formed XML 1.0 documents, but that
> an XML 1.0 parser may accept them.  This breaks no documents and no
> implementations, but it allows us to unambiguously state the version
> of a document.  Can anyone see any problems with it?

Maybe, but then the meaning of "Well-formedness" becomes ambiguous,
if a parser is allowed to accept such violations in specific circumstances.
Just leave it as it is - a problem of the application domain.

Karl