[Expat-discuss] Line endings and the default handlers

Karl Waclawek karl@waclawek.net
Wed Jul 24 06:23:04 2002

> So, it would be nice to know what the intention was.
> Maybe to enable round-tripping? First you process the
 > regular handler, then you call XML_DefaultCurrent from
 > within that handler, to get the exact data from the input
 > document. Just a guess.

Sorry, but I am changing my opinion again (as often as my shirts, it seems <bg>).

Yes, the XML 1.0 specs state that all characters reported
to the application must have normalized linebreaks.

However, I do not take this as a rule that forbids
us to have a feature that gives access to the raw data.

It seems pretty clear that the default handler was meant for that.
It even allows double-reporting of the same data, once through a regular
handler, and then a second time using the XML_DefaultCurrent function,
which class the default handler. This suggest that it is not meant
to be a regular handler for reporting the XML InfoSet.
And all applications that use this feature of having access to the
raw data would be broken with the proposed fix.

So, my vote goes for leaving it as it is, but fixing the documentation
in reference.html to be in sync with the comments in expat.h.
I hope this is the last time I changed my opinion. <g>

Karl