[Expat-discuss] SOAP envelope

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu Mar 21 19:12:01 2002

Pankaja Kadakuntla writes:
 > I am using EXPAT's XML parser to read XML documents. I
 > have a requirement to extend my application to read
 > and write SOAP envelopes. I have couple of questions.
 > 1. Does expat handle SOAP envelopes?

Expat is a general, non-validating XML parser.  Given a SOAP message,
it can parse it into SAX-like events, but does not offer any specific
support for SOAP.  It should not be difficult to implement an
efficient set of Expat callbacks that build a generally-useful object
that represents the SOAP envelope, but I don't know of an available
package that provides that for you.

If anyone knows of such a package, I'd be glad to add a link from
expat.sourceforge.net.

 > 2. If not are there any plans of extending EXPAT API's
 > to read SOAP envelopes?

No.  Expat itself should not need to be changed in any way.

 > 3. Are there any libraries or SOAP parsers (in tight
 > C) out there which can aid in reading/writing SOAP
 > envelopes. Any help regarding this would be highly
 > appreciated.

I'd start looking at www.soapware.org.

  -Fred

--