[Expat-discuss] Trouble using static expat in MS VC 6

Karl Waclawek karl@waclawek.net
Thu Nov 21 18:58:05 2002

You may have linked to the Dll import library instead of the static library.
They have the same names, but should be in different Release directories.

The upcoming version of Expat will have a different naming scheme,
with the name post-fixed according to the version of the runtime
library used (multi-threaded or not, etc.). By default it will
build as libexpatMT.lib.

Karl

----- Original Message -----
From: "Oriol" <omagrane@anthill.es>
To: <expat-discuss@libexpat.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 1:40 PM
Subject: [Expat-discuss] Trouble using static expat in MS VC 6

    Hi,
    I've installed and successfully built expat 1.95.5 under Visual C 6.
    However, problems arise when I try to use it.
    I need to statically link the expat library to my program, but after a successful compilation,
the linker stops with this error: MyProgram.obj : "error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
__imp__XML_ParserCreate"
    The library paths already include the directory where libexpat.lib lives, so the problem is not
a missing library.
    Furthermore I've declared the symbol XML_STATIC in Resources->Preprocessor, but the problem
still remains.
    Any idea?