[Expat-discuss] CharacterDataHandler question. (re-post)

Mauro Daniel Ardolino mauro@altersoft.com.ar
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:05:12 -0400 (ART)

Sorry if this message arrived twice.  I'm not having echo of the first
post.  It could not arrived.

The message:

Hello!

I red the documentation about the CharacterDataHandler and I think
this event is called when there's data inside tags.  I'm using the C++
Wrapper written by Tim Smith.

The fact is that I'm testing it and I discovered that this handler is
called even if there's no data inside tags.
e.g.:
<A></A>

It is called twice and the data is first a CR and then a white space.
On the other hand I know that this handler can be called more than once
for the same tag bringing pieces of information (why is that?).

What I cannot solve is differencing between a valid white space and this
strange spureous white space.

e.g.
<A>THIS HAS THREE SPACES</A>

My first idea:
On start element: init a variable.
On character: save adding on the variable.
On end element: take off the CR and the last white space.

Do I have to do all that work?
If so I think I can write a subclass from Tim's one to do it only once.

Am I wrong?

Thanks a lot.

-- Mauro

--