[Expat-discuss] Refering to XML Schema and Expat

Karl Waclawek karl@waclawek.net
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 23:44:44 -0400

> Looking at the spec:
>
> <spec excerpt="Validity constraint: Standalone Document Declaration">
>   The standalone document declaration must have the value "no" if any external
>   markup declarations contain declarations of:
>   a.. attributes with default values, if elements to which these attributes
>       apply appear in the document without specifications of values for these
>       attributes, or
>   b.. entities (other than amp, lt, gt, apos, quot), if references to those
>       entities appear in the document, or
>   c.. attributes with values subject to normalization, where the attribute
>       appears in the document with a value which will change as a result of
>       normalization, or
>   d.. element types with element content, if white space occurs directly
>       within any instance of those types.
> </spec>
>
> It seems none of these applies here. c) looks the closest, but there
> is no attribute value declared in the external subset.
> Is there another constraint that applies?

I checked the errata for this VC, and it contains a new
version of point c) which reads:

  c.. attributes with tokenized types, where the attribute appears in the
      document with a value such that normalization will produce a different
      value from that which would be produced in the absence of the declaration,

Now, that changes things. I don't see a way to solve this without
having Expat do some validation specific work - maybe a flag indicating
if any normalization beyond CDATA requirements was performed.

Karl