[Expat-discuss] Re: libtool-1.5, autoconf-2.57, automake-1.73, please upgrade

Gerrit P. Haase gp at familiehaase.de
Thu Apr 17 23:49:19 EDT 2003

Hallo Greg,

Am Donnerstag, 17. April 2003 um 09:09 schriebst du:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 08:05:18AM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>> Recently, libtool-1.5 was released.
>> Would be great if all of the expat maintainers could
>> update their build systems as soon as possible.

> Hmm. Haven't looked at it yet. I don't know that we're really stressing for
> a new libtool, but I'll put this on the backburner. It might be useful for
> some other projects, too. But I'm also leery of switching something like
> Expat over to "new" code. Expat gets installed all over the place by a great
> many people. As a result, it seems prudent to be a bit conservative.

I use the 'new' libtool for the Cygwin releases since I do the
releases.  It wasn't possible to build Libexpat on Cygwin with the
provided libtool (1.42), without patching it, because libtool was
broken in some way (regarding Cygwin support).

>> libtool-1.5 depends on autoconf 2.57 and (if someone
>> want to make another attempt to make use of automake)
>> automake-1.73

> Not a chance on automake. Don't even get me started...

I remember...

>> >From the Cygwin announcement:
>> ===
>> At long last, the super spiffy auto-import-based, mostly "just like
>> unix" DLL support for cygwin is available in the official, stable,
>> libtool release.  Now is the time to start bugging your favorite
>> upstream maintainers to update their packages to the latest autotools --
>> and in most cases, they'll get cygwin and mingw DLLs for free.
>> ===

> Ah. Interesting. Well, I'd be quite happy to see some patches for the new
> libtool and autoconf, and then how those reflect out to the cygwin stuff.
> But given that I don't use any of that technology, I won't be able to test
> or develop the patches.

For a Cygwin release of Libexpat I need to do a reconf (libtoolize &
autoheader & autoconf) everytime with the special Cygwin libtool which
we used all the time before libtool-1.5 was released.  Then the build
succeeds.  Most of the Cygwin patches are now included in libtool-1.5,
so we arrived the point were we don't need a special version of
libtool anymore (well, I hope so).  As long as packages I'm
maintaining are building without changes to libtool I don't change
them (e.g. indent or enscript which are just executables and no
DLL's),  but all the lib packages were DLL's are builded and which are
depending on libtool need to be relibtoolized with a libtool version
that works with Cygwin (e.g. Libexpat or Berkeley DB).

I will happily test all available new verisons of Libexpat and make
releases for the Cygwin netrelease as I did before.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=