[Expat-discuss] Using the Win32 binary DLL?

warren henning w_k_henning at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 9 00:37:16 EDT 2003

I'm using Visual C++ 6.

I looked at the expat documentation (\Doc\reference.html) and it said "you
may download the Win32 binary package that contains the "expat.h" include
file and a pre-built DLL." This is precisely what I am attempting to do.

I tried to build the example program, outline, using only the binary dll
(libexpat.dll) by making a new project in a different directory with
libexpat.directory in the same directory as the outline.c file i copied and
pasted to the new directory. The copied C file was added to the project. Not
knowing exactly what to do, I also added the libexpat.dll into the workspace
so that it appeared in the file list. I don't know if that does anything at
all.

I attempted to buidl using the above configuration and got unresolved
external symbol errors like so:

dlltest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
__imp__XML_GetCurrentLineNumber
dlltest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
__imp__XML_ErrorString
dlltest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
__imp__XML_GetErrorCode

etc etc. All the XML parser stuff. I looked at the error message
documentation and it didn't give any indication of what could have caused
the problem. I searched with Google to no avail.

I zipped up the actual project directory with all the relevant files. It is
a 245kb zip archive that can be downloaded at:

http://wkh.daysbackwhen.com/dlltest.zip

If someone wanted to download that, fix the problem(s), zip the files back
up, and email the fixed project all zipped up as an email attachment, that'd
be ideal.

(However if someone wishes to offer written help instead that's also
appreciated.)

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

-Warren