[Expat-discuss] Bugs in expat 1.95.8 [WAS: Expat 1.95.8 fails on XML with newline]

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Tue Dec 14 04:08:17 CET 2004

* Karl Waclawek <karl at waclawek.net> wrote:

<snip>
> >Nevertheless its bad behaviour of expat and shall be fixed.
>
> For saying this, the wrath of the XML gods will come upon you. ;-)
I really dont care about such fundamentalists.
XML is a text format, and those normally have dozens over newlines.
I dont see where kindly accepting some additional newlines makes
any trouble. Expat is per definition an non-validating parser and
thus is not intendet for syntax checking.

The only point where *I* am as fanatic as GWB is the point that
Interfaces have to be *deterministic* and *constant*. Once interfaces
are established, they dont have to be changed anymore, not even
in thousand years, so that someone seeing this interface can really
rely on it. If some wants to change an interface, he has to establish
a new one and probably throw the old away if its not needed anylonger.
Thats one of the primary rules for ensuring software quality.

> >BTW: is my install-fix ($DESTDIR prefix) now included in the
> >latest release ?
>
> I leave the answer to Fred, as he deals with build issues
> better than me.
Well, I had a short look into the recent code and can answer it by
myself: the make rules are still broken - sysroot-installs are still
impossible yet.

Crosscompiling seems to work on equal host and build.

But on certain sites it refuses to build shared libraries. Probably
its the same as on apache: configure is too stupid to detect a well
installed gnu ld as such, because it was created with broken autoconf.

In fact autoconf isnt really broken - its an misdesign, but that's
another story ...

Also its not possible to disable static libraries and commands.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481