[Expat-discuss] Re: Conflict with two expat shared libraries

Karl Waclawek karl at waclawek.net
Tue Dec 14 05:20:40 CET 2004

Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> Well, on win32 its no problem, if you manually load the dll and
> find the functions one by one. This would also be possibly on gnu/linux
> with a prepared library loader (I remember in old days there was another
> .so loader library than libdl going around, which AFAIK did not publish
> all symbols as global).
>
> But thats really not the point! We also want to let the dynamic linker
> do evrything completely alone. And then we *need* different symbols
> for different things. AFAIK dll symbol tables do not support any kind
> of typing information and thus no overloading.
>
> Well, my last win32 works are several years ago, so it probably changed ...
>

>>>Well, thats how it has to be.
>>>But then where's the problem ?
>>
>>Don't understand the question.
>
> If both library variants work - as you said - by overloading (no idea
> how this should go w/o typeinfo), then I dont understand what's your
> problem.

I don't have a problem.

> Obviously its the point that it does _not_ work.
>

> <snip>
>
>>>No problem, if my work wouldn't fall into the trashcan of history
>>>due missing interest of other people ...
>>
>>Can't really help you with build issues - as my Unix expertise
>>in this area is not very good. I don't really want to commit
>>a patch without having it reviewed by our Unix build experts.
>
> My dear, I'm now building distros for many years (created an automatic
> buildsystem which creates embedded firmware for almost any kind of
> linux-based device) and I've tested my patch a thousand times.
>
> Can't you just trust in me that I'm able to add an $(DESTDIR) variable
> reference in front of every installation location for 'cp', 'install'
> and similar commands without hurting anything else ?

I didn't even try to look at it closely, as I am not usually dealing
with build issues. And no, I don't just trust you because I simply
don't have the time to go out and check your credentials or
evaluate your contributions which are of a type that I usually don't
look at.

Having said that, I can understand your impatience, but as volunteers
we do not always have a consistent amount of time available.

> <snip>
>
>>It is true, some of us have been too busy elsewhere, and haven't
>>found the time to deal with outstanding build issues.
>
> So if your unix experts are too busy, why dont you just let me do
> this job ?
> I'm now working about 10 years as gnu/linux developer, so I feel
> competent enough :)

Well, I am not the project administrator, but I am sure
that Fred would welcome any competent help, busy as he is.
He is cc'ed on this, so unless he really is not available
(he could be on vacation or travelling), he will likely
respond to you.

Karl