[Expat-discuss] Re: Conflict with two expat shared libraries

rolf at pointsman.de rolf at pointsman.de
Tue Dec 14 13:05:12 CET 2004

On 13 Dec, Karl Waclawek wrote:
> Enrico Weigelt wrote:
>> My dear, I'm now building distros for many years (created an automatic
>> buildsystem which creates embedded firmware for almost any kind of
>> linux-based device) and I've tested my patch a thousand times.
>>
>> Can't you just trust in me that I'm able to add an $(DESTDIR) variable
>> reference in front of every installation location for 'cp', 'install'
>> and similar commands without hurting anything else ?
>
> I didn't even try to look at it closely, as I am not usually dealing
> with build issues. And no, I don't just trust you because I simply
> don't have the time to go out and check your credentials or
> evaluate your contributions which are of a type that I usually don't
> look at.
>
> Having said that, I can understand your impatience, but as volunteers
> we do not always have a consistent amount of time available.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>>It is true, some of us have been too busy elsewhere, and haven't
>>>found the time to deal with outstanding build issues.
>>
>> So if your unix experts are too busy, why dont you just let me do
>> this job ?
>> I'm now working about 10 years as gnu/linux developer, so I feel
>> competent enough :)
>
> Well, I am not the project administrator, but I am sure
> that Fred would welcome any competent help, busy as he is.
> He is cc'ed on this, so unless he really is not available
> (he could be on vacation or travelling), he will likely
> respond to you.

That's a question of politics: How open are the expat developing
group. I'd say (but that's only my personal opinion): be liberal in to
whom you give write access to the repository. If he does good, everone
wins. If he mess up HEAD or change the API without consens with the
other developers, revert to prior state (that's, what cvs is for) and
write a mail with a few strong words to him. If he do it again, revert
again and kick him from the developers list - nothing bad happend,
beside some clean up trouble.

(Well, it has come over me at some moments in the past, to volunteer
as expat developer - you know, I bank on expat and it would simply
feel better to have some 'official' influence. So far, I've withstood
that temptation.)

rolf