[Expat-discuss] Re: Conflict with two expat shared libraries

Steinar Bang sb at dod.no
Mon Nov 15 23:28:56 CET 2004

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Steinar Bang" <sb at dod.no> Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 4:23 PM

>> I think the enhancement request below would fix at least this
>> particular problem:
>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1048448&group_id=10127&atid=110127
>> This would be similar to the "A" and "W" suffixes used on different
>> versions of the Win32 API calls.

> I guess it would break existing code, but it is in principle a
> reasonable approach.

If you put it into a major version number change, there's a hope that
eg. linux package maintainers of the expat library won't expect binary
compatibility, and therefore won't scream too much.

> The other one would be, of course, to control what is exported, to
> avoid the need for the -Bsymbolic flag.

I don't think there is any way of controlling that in ELF, except by
making the functions you don't wish to export, static.  That may not
be easily done, if they are used across several C source files.