[Expat-discuss] CRLF conversion question

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Wed Sep 8 00:35:27 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 06:18 pm, Armin Bauer wrote:
 > Sorry if its me being stupid but why do CDATA sections contain nodes at
 > all? As far as my understanding goes the parser has not to touch the
 > cdata section at all.

The node structure is defined by whatever API is providing you with nodes
(Expat isn't).  If you're using a DOM with wbxml (or if wbxml is using a DOM
internally), that's why nodes are used.

Line-end normalization is required at all times, even inside CDATA marked
sections.  CDATA marked sections are not intended as an escape hatch for
binary data.

 > wouldnt it be correct if it created exactly one text node containing all
 > the text as is? At the moment it creates a lot of nodes for every line
 > etc.

What's correct depends on the API.  If these are DOM nodes, then yes, that
would be correct, but not required for correctness.  The series of nodes
would also be correct.  That's a separate issue from line-end normalization.

 > wbxml is the library that converts syncml request to wap binary xml ( a
 > form of conversion before it is send over gprs) :)

Cool, I guess.  Is it this one?

    http://libwbxml.aymerick.com/

The tree described in the documentation looks *very* DOMish to me, though
perhaps a little lighter than a full W3C DOM (hard to be heavier!).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>