[Expat-discuss] Well-formed XML question

Steve Emmons semmons at sensorlogic.com
Tue Feb 8 14:57:36 CET 2005

(Sorry if this is a duplicate. My first message appears to have bounced.)

I'm working with a remote XML source that is sending me messages like this:

<M2MXML ver="1.0"td="1234567890"><Command
name="requestPercept"seq="3"/></M2MXML>

Note that there is no space between the end of a quoted string and the
beginning of the next attribute. I'm told this is "well-formed" by provider,
but EXPAT doesn't like it. I can understand the argument that it is OK
because the quote provides a delimiter that helps distinguish the tokens. An
Open Source Java library called KXML apparently thinks this form is just
fine.

Is EXPAT too restrictive? Can it be made to relax this constraint? (I don't
have control over the source, so I need to figure out how to consume it.)

Thanks. -SE-