[Expat-discuss] Re: DESTDIR patches

Steinar Bang sb at dod.no
Sat Jan 1 17:50:33 CET 2005

> Expat 2.0 is supposed to be a bug-fixed version of the last few
> releases, introducing as little incompatibilities as possible.
> Would this change not be better-suited for post-2.0 Expat, where we
> intend to make backwards-incompatible modifications?

I'm thinking version numbers and expectations of binary compatibility.

It's more expected that a major version bump will introduce binary
incompatibility, than that a minor version bump will do so.

When I do bug fix releases, I usually just bump the minor version
number.  Major version number bumps are used for major enhancements
and rewrites.

But YMMV.