[Expat-discuss] Accented Characters

Bruce Warmer bruce at softcase.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 18:27:25 CET 2005

> Bruce Warmer wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having a little trouble getting Expat to process encoded
>> characters such as "Ä" (Ä) in character data.  Instead of being
>> passed through as they are, or appearing as the character, such
>> encodings come across as strange representations such as "ü".
>

> Expat can process various encodings, especially when the
> UnknownEncodingHandler call-back is used, but it always
> reports XML markup encoded as UTF-8 or UTF-16, depending
> on how it was compiled. That is standard behaviour.

Thanks for the help.  My limited knowledge in this area means I am still
left with the question about what I should be doing in order to use
Expat to process then XML files I have, into the target output I want,
preserving the accented characters.

Appreciated,

Bruce.

--
SoftCASE Consulting
Rowley House, 5 Hosiers Lane, The Quay, Poole, Dorset BH15 1HL, UK