[Expat-discuss] pre-release snapshot

Ardo van Rangelrooij ardo at debian.org
Sat Jan 29 06:36:49 CET 2005

Fred L. Drake, Jr. (fdrake at acm.org) wrote:
> I've posted a pre-release distribution snapshot of the code currently in CVS
> on libexpat.org:
>
>     http://www.libexpat.org/expat-2005-01-28.tar.gz
>
> Please try this out and report any problems you have.  We'd like to get a
> release out soon.
>
> The coming release will either be 1.95.9 or 2.0, depending primarily on the
> response to this snapshot.  If we do decide to make this 1.95.9, then we'll
> try to follow up with 2.0 in about a month.

What are the plans with the soname?

The reason I'm asking this is the following: I'm the maintainer of the Debian
package of expat, and due to a mishap just before the current stable release
(called woody) was frozen someone else uploaded a new version to fix something
on a non-i386 platform and bumped the soname.  Since then Debian has been
living with an expat library with two sonames ('0' and '1') and binary linked
against both.

The only way to get out this situation without creating an incompatibility
with the rest of the world is that the next soname change in expat skips '1'
and uses '2'.  It is greatly appreciated if this would be done.

Thanks,
Ardo
--
Ardo van Rangelrooij                                     Debian XML/SGML Group
<ardo at debian.org>              <debian-xml-sgml-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>